Understanding new veterinary feed directives for beef cattle producers
MANHATTAN, Kan. — K-State Research and Extension will offer state-wide educational opportunities this fall focusing on the Food and Drug Administration veterinary feed directive that will go into effect Jan. 1, 2017. To prepare, producers need to become familiar with the regulation and the associated procedures.
“The information presented will ensure that the producers of Kansas will be at the forefront of this change in the industry,” says A.J. Tarpoff, K-State extension beef veterinarian. “It’s imperative that we use antimicrobials judiciously and the VFD has steps to guarantee this proper use.”
K-State Research and Extension in cooperation with K-State’s College of Veterinary Medicine will present information at a number of sites across the state to help producers, feed distributors and veterinarians understand the details.
Meetings scheduled across Kansas in the upcoming weeks include:
- Nov. 16, 5:30 p.m. CST – Midland Railroad Hotel, Wilson – Cost of meals and materials $10, RSVP to 785-483-3157, 785-472-4442 or firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Nov. 22, 2 p.m. – HCC Klinefelter Barn, 1774 230th St, Hiawatha – 785-742-7871;
- Nov. 22, 7 p.m. CST – Nemaha County Community Building, Seneca – 785-336-2184;
- Nov. 30, 6 p.m. CST – Sheridan County 4-H Building, Hoxie – RSVP by Nov. 28 to 785-475-8121 or 785-675-3378;
- Nov. 30, 6 p.m. CST – Marais des Cygnes Extension District Office, Paola – RSVP by Nov. 23 to 913-294-4306 or 913-795-2829;
- Dec. 6, 11 a.m. CST, Extension Meeting Room, Howard – Cost of meals and materials $5, RSVP by Dec. 2 to 620-374-2174;
- Dec. 7, 6 p.m. CST, Gaylord Community Center, 509 Main Street, Gaylord – RSVP by Dec. 1 to 785-738-3597 or email@example.com;
- Dec. 5, Stockton – 785-425-6851; and
- Dec. 8, 5:15 p.m. CST, Butler Co. Community Building/4-H Building, El Dorado – Cost of meal and materials $5, RSVP by Dec. 5 to 316-321-9660 or firstname.lastname@example.org
As further meeting information and details are available they will be posted towww.KSUBeef.org or contact your local county or district extension office for a learning opportunity in your area. More information on the VFD can be found at KSUBeef.org.